Solutions, inspiration and information on Eco-Design issues. A blog for designers, engineers and eco-conscious visitors.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
11 Questions to Ask Before You Design, Specify, or Buy Anything
1. Do we need it? Can we live without it?
2. Is the project designed to minimize waste?
3. Can it be smaller, lighter or made from fewer materials?
4. Is it designed to be durable or multi-functional?
5. Does it use renewable resources?
6. Is reuse practical and encouraged?
7. Are the product and packaging refillable, recyclable, or repairable?
8. Is it made with post-consumer recycled or reclaimed materials and how much?
9. Are the materials available in a less toxic form? Can it be made with less toxic materials?
10. Is it available from a socially and environmentally responsible company
11. Is it made locally?
by: Chris Hacker
Posted by blinkr at 12:27 PM